Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Lost

It seems I have lost it...My patience that is. I don't seem to have much patience when it come to helping Allie with her reading. I know she can figure a word out so I say "Allie what is this word?" She glances at it for a whole 2 seconds and shrugs her shoulders and says "I don't know". "Sound it out" I tell her and she makes a half hearted try and throws her hands in the air, flops her body on the ground and starts crying. Some where in that cry is the words I don't know what it says.  So I help her sound the word out and we move on. Once again there is the 2 second glance and the shrugging shoulders and those three words I am really starting to hate "I don't know". Once again, sound it out. and the small try and the tears. REALLY do we need to cry over every word we sound out? My temper starts to flare and her tears continue to fall. I know that it is more reasonable to stay calm and she will  figure it out, but it drives me crazy that she is so willing to give up that easily. Eventually the tempers calm down on both our sides and once we are finished I pulled her to me and put my arm around her and told her that I know she is a very, very, very, very smart girl and that she needs to try not to give up or she will never learn. I give her a hug and kiss and send her to bed. I just sat there for a few minutes thinking about what had happened and how I could have handled the whole thing better. It makes me wonder if I was as emotional trying to learn new things when I was younger. or maybe she gets it from Chris lol. Next time I chat with my mom I will have to ask her.

2 comments:

Marilee said...

Oh the joys of learning how to read!! I have one who, if can't do something perfectly the first time, falls apart with the "boo-hoo's". I find myself giving the pep talk of practice makes perfect (in more words than less).

Sometimes, I will try reading the book, slowly, to them first with them following along then hopefully they have caught the hard words and it will be easier for them to sound them out when it's their turn to read it back to me. Gotta love being tricky with new readers! (the funny thing is...they don't play games with their school teachers).

Good luck!

Leanne said...

goodness, we have this at our house all the time. but with piano, which by the way was THEIR idea to start so early, not mine!! so we have to yell and scream and cry to get it practiced and there is never a "thanks for helping me, mom!" after a successful recital or lesson. UGH! I totally and completely feel your pain. hang in there!