Friday, September 14, 2012

The Medical World

WOW!!!! We have visited the medical world more these last 2 weeks then I care to. On wednesday the 5th Allie was riding a scooter at the babysitters house and fell off and landed on her left arm. I took her to the Drs office because there is a bowed look to her arm...makes me queasy when I look at it. The second the dr walked in he said "oh ya that is broken. I am going to send you to the AF hospital to get x-rays and I will call you with the results tonight. You will then need to come in on Friday to get a cast put on it. Lets put a splint (wrist brace) on it to keep it stable." So off we go to the hospital. She did an excellent job at sitting still and not crying as the x-rays were getting done. Later that night the Drs office calls and says the x-ray results are in and it isn't broken, keep the splint on for the next 3 days, ice her arm, and medicate as needed with tylenol. OK wonderful that it isn't broken we will follow the orders given us... Well the next evening I was helping her take the bracce off so she can get in the tub and her arm looks a little bruised and there is a bump and of course the bend that makes me queasy is still there. She goes to bed and the next day I am at work and that bend and bump in her arm keep popping up in my head. How is that bend going to fix itself with just a wrist brace? So to ease my mind I call a different Dr from a different office to get a second opinion. We go in he looks at her arm and says "oh ya she deffinately has a bowed arm. Lets look at the x-rays that were taken at the hospital. Everything looks good. There is a chance that she has fractured it and some fractures don't show up on an x-ray until it starts to heal and then it will be white on the x-ray. This splint (which in my mind is a wrist brace not a splint. don't splints go down both sides of a limb and then a wrap is applied around it?) is the best thing for her to have on. Keep it on for the next 2-3 weeks and ice her arm and apply meds as needed. Here is a pediactric surgeons number, call him on monday if her arm is still hurting her. He can take more x-rays if needed to see if anything shows up." So off we go home. It has now been over a week the bow in her arm is still there and I don't know if I am dwelling too much on this bow and need to get over it or if there is a reason it won't stop picking at my brain. I guess if 2 different drs aren't all that concerned I shouldn't be.
These pictures were taken when she got out of the tub.

I took Gracelyn to the Dr last night because she has been irritable the last 2 days and didn't sleep good the night before and now has a fever. She had to get on the scale and at 18 months old she is a whopping 20.2 pounds (that is what most kids weigh on their 1st birthday). It turns out she has an Ear infection and Hand, Foot, and Mouth desease. Why they call it a desease when it is a virus, I don't know. She has ulcers in her mouth and a rash on her bottom. There is nothing to give her for the HF&M. It should run its course in a week. Until then she is contagious for the next 5 days to any kid 10 and under. Her temp can get upwards to 105, add diahhrea, throwing up, and loss of appetite on top of that. The poor little thing!! She has a lollipop that she gets to suck on for 30 seconds every hour to numb her mouth from the pain of the ulcers and once the numbness sets in we are to pump her full of fluids. We have to alternate between ibuprofin and tylenol to keep the fever at bay and of course her amoxaxillin for the lovely ear infection. Unfortunately for her today is our work summer party at lagoon and Gracie can't go so my Wonderful mom has agreed to sit with Grace while we take the other 2 kids. Last night my father and mother in law came over and Christopher and Kent were able to give Gracelyn a blessing. How wonderful it is to have a priesthood holder in your home!!! Oh speak of the devil Angel. Gracelyn is crying so time to medicate.

No comments: